Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Today I have no words of Wisdom for my Friend

Today I have no words of wisdom for my friend. Today I have no advice that can help him. Today he is burying his daughter. She died Friday. She was only 20 years old.


All I can do is sit quietly, willing him to keep breathing, waiting, ready to listen if he wants to talk, ready to do whatever he might need someone to do.

As I sit here looking at my friend and the casket holding the remains of his hopes and dreams, words struggle to rise past the unspeakable terror; that it could be me sitting there.

Words finally do come though, from the deepest part of my heart, but they are for all the rest of us who are not grieving today.

Love your children. I know, you do. But have you told them today? Have you reached out to them to tell them that you do? Have you told them how grateful you are that they are part of your life?

If they are close enough, Hug them. Hold onto them. Wrap them in all the love you have to give.

They are the most important reason you exist.